LEARN ABOUT THE BENEFITS
What does a smile mean to you? For many, it can mean different things. It can mean a person is friendly, confident, charming maybe even proud! But what about those people who don’t smile? Do you automatically assume that they are not so friendly? Perhaps unapproachable? Or maybe they are just shy! Truth is a lot of people don’t like to smile because they are embarrassed of their teeth.
A smile can really characterise an individual’s personality and if your smile is not something you are proud of it can impact your everyday life in more ways than one. How you ask?
An unconfident smile can affect the following:
- Your overall confidence and self-esteem
- It can impact the shape of your jaw, cheeks, lips and overall facial profile
- Attracting the opposite sex and finding your life partner
- Finding your dream job/career
- Your health and general wellbeing
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: What does your smile say about your personality?
A natural, open-mouth smile conveys warmth and likability, often showing a lighter, more relaxed temperament and a closed smile can convey politeness and professionalism at work, but could give off a negative, closed-off vibe in social situations.
Your smile affects your self-image, and can greatly influence the
quality of your interactions with others. Many people hold back from
laughing or smiling because they are uncomfortable about their
appearance when they do.
To see if your smile is affecting you, take the simple test below and if
you answer YES to most of these questions’ chances are your smile
is affecting your everyday life, good news is you can do something about it!
THE SMILE TEST
(answer truthfully to yourself as no one else is watching)
- Would you like to change anything about the appearance of your teeth or smile?
- Are you self-conscious about your teeth or smile?
- Does the appearance of your smile inhibit you from laughing or smiling?
- When being photographed, do you smile with your lips closed instead of flashing a full smile?
Now did you answer yes to most of these questions? If so, then perhaps now’s the time to take the necessary steps to improve your smile and self-confidence.
DID YOU KNOW, THAT YOUR DENTIST CAN HELP WITH ALL THE BELOW ISSUES WHEN IT COMES TO ACHIEVING THE PERFECT SMILE?
- If your teeth are yellow, stained or somewhat discoloured
- If you want a whiter, brighter smile
- If you have gaps between your teeth
- If your teeth are crooked, turned or uneven
- If you have chipped or missing teeth
- If any of your teeth are too small, too short, too large or too long
- If you have any previous dental work that looks unnatural
- If you have silver (amalgam) fillings
- If you have red, swollen gums
- If you have a ‘gummy’ smile (too much gum shows when you smile)
All of these issues can be fixed, the first step is building up the confidence to make that phone call and booking in a general consultation and discussing the first steps to be on your way to a confident, healthy smile!